sâmbătă, 25 decembrie 2010

Dans le détroit du Lac Érié (In the strait of Lake Erie) - part 2

People

The second thing that struck me upon arrival as a European was the people (right after the buildings, of course). There was something different about them compared to what you usually see in Europe. It took me a while to realize what it was, and it happened in a funny way...

I was supposed to meet with a Romanian - American to which I had been talking on the Internet before leaving Romania. The problem was that neither of us knew what the other one looked like. I asked her ahead of time: How will you recognize me in the crowd? She replied: Don’t worry about it. I will find you. And somehow she actually did! Astonished, I had to ask her how she knew it was me, and she replied: Look around you… you’re the only person who is not smiling. So you’re the only one who’s not from around here. Needless to say she was right.

Indeed, people were smiling … everywhere, at any time. It wasn’t because they didn’t have things to worry about or because the crisis hadn’t hit America. And even if they did, the knowledge would be insignificant compared with the experience of actually living it, even if only for a month.

Being polite seems to be ingrained in the culture in this part of America. I mean, how often do we see people saying hello to strangers, say in front of a hotel, in Europe? And I’m not talking about the hotel’s employees … no. I’m talking about total strangers like tourists. Not too often I would think.

Another funny thing: How’s it going? or How are you? are used there instead of hi or hello. No need to reply with the story of your life or anything. It took me a couple of days to understand that. :)))

To be continued...

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu